Book Bytes

Thoughts about books from students, their trusty librarian, and often their Language Arts teacher, too…

7th & 8th Grade (Week #8 – 10/26 to 11/2)

October 27, 2010 by Mrs. Northcutt · 79 Comments · 2010 ERP, 7th-8th Grade

Happy Halloween, my friends! Sorry that this post has been delayed, but Halloween week tends to be one of the busiest ones of the year for me. Many of my LeGrande students are participating in our annual Thriller dance project and they know that I’ve been spending almost the same amount of time in the gym as I have in the library! JCMS students, I know that Mrs. Martin loves Halloween as much as I do, so I bet you’re getting to do something fun in her class, too!

Anyway, let’s get down to business. This week we are going to tackle the topic of genre – a fancy word for “type” or “kind”. Remember, since the ERP focuses on fiction we are really dealing with its sub-genres. Your booklist was divided into five genres: Realistic Fiction, Fantasy Fiction, Historical Fiction, Science Fiction and Mystery Fiction. If you need some help remembering the specifics of these, you can find a quick list by clicking HERE.

And now. your prompt!

• Identify the title of one of your ERP books and its genre.
  • List three examples from your book of details that make you think that your chosen book is an example of that genre.
  • Do you typically read books in this genre? Why or why not?

AND AS A BONUS DISCUSSION TOPIC (answer only if you WANT to)…

• In honor of Halloween, what is your favorite scary story or book? Would you recommend it to others? Why or why not?

Tags: ···

79 Comments so far ↓

• Meredith F.

The book that i am using is Sweethearts by Sara Zarr. The genre of this book is realistic fiction. Three things that make it this ganre are her best friend dies in the beginning, she has problems with her friends, adn she has a fight with her boyfriend and breaks up with him. These are all realistic conflict. I do typically read this genre bacause it has eralistic conflict, has things to relate to, and is enjoyable to me.

• Logan B.

“Fight Game” by Kate Wild is realistic fiction.
    It’s realistic fiction because: Freedom gets chased by the cops, he thinks people are going to burn his trailer down, and Freedom can think like a lizard. I tipically read books in this genre or fantasy because I think they are interesting.

• Mrs. Northcutt

You may want to rethink this, Logan. “Fight Game” is classified as Science Fiction for the purposes of this project. What reasons do you think I might have had for putting it in that list?

• Bria S.

The book I finished is “Impossible” by Nancy Werlin. The genre of my book is fantasy. One way that “Impossible is fantasy is there is an Elfin Night. Another way my book is fantasy is Lucy (main character) has to make a magical seamless shirt. This is part of three tasks she has to accomplish. The last way my book is fantasy is that Lucy’s family is under a curse. I usually do not read fantasy books. I usually read the genre horror. If I can not find a good horror book I read fantasy.

• Jared Y.

My book is “Ender’s Shadow” by Orson Scott Card. My book genre is science fiction. One reason that the book is science fiction isbecause there are spaceships. Another reason is because it takes place in space. One final reason is that there is an alien race that the humans are fighting. I normally read sci-fi because I enjoy the space-action type of reading.

• Kyle M.

The name of my book is the Brooklyn Nine by Alan Gratz. The genre of my book is sports. THis book is a sports book because it goes trough a family that likes baseball. They also go through nine different innings. They play baseball all the time, when they have the time. Yes I read sports books alo so I guess that I read this genre alot.

• Mrs. Northcutt

If you read the prompt a little more carefully, you’ll notice that “sports” wasn’t a choice as a genre. What type of fiction was this book classified as for this project and why do you think it fits in that catagory?

• Wes K

The name of the book im using is paralyzed by Jeff Rudd. The book fits into the realistic fiction genre. One way the book fits into this genre is it is based on a regular kid and him playing football but its not a true story. Another way this book fits into this genre is everything in this book could happen for example its based on a boy who tackles somebody and hurts the other person ( but its not his fault) and now he is scared to takle. Finally Reggie is basically a regular boy i would of done the same thing he did

• Mikey M.

My book is “Bystander” by James Preller. The genre of my book fits into realistic fiction. Three reasons why it fits into realistic fiction is because bullying really happens and there is alot of bullying in my book. Another reason why my book is realistic fiction is because the main character is a bystander and doesnt know what to do and thats what bystanders in the real world do. One last reason why my book is realistic fiction is because the bully steals and does other bad stuff that a real bully would do. I love realistic fiction and its my favorite genre because it relates to the real world.

• Bethany B.

The title of the book I just finished is “Generation Dead” by Daniel Waters. The genre of my book is fantasy fiction. One reason is that the event of the dead coming back to life could never happen. Another reason that it is classified in that genre is because alll of the events such as people getting shot in the heart and still breathing is fantasy. The last reason is because I don’t believe that there would ever be a school that enrolls dead kids in the entire world. I do not typically read this genre. I don’t because I usually like to read horror books and I like to be scared and freaked out at night. I don’t usually like to read fantasy books but I love horror. That is why I don’t typically read this genre.

• Lauren M.

The book I am reading is called “They Never Came Back” by Caroline B. Cooney. The genre of my book is mystery. 3 reasons why my book is the genre mystery are because this girl murielle is lost and they are trying to find her. Another reason is because this boy Tommy , which is Murielle’s cousin, thinks that this girl Cathy is his cousin Murielle, but she says that she isn’t. Another reason is that Murielle’s parents stole a lot of money and they are on the run and there are a bunch of people looking for them but they can not find them. I do typically read this type of genre because mystery and horror are my favorite genres to read.

• Sam S

My book “Unwind” by Neal Shusterman is a Science Fiction book.The Unwinding process is non existant in real lifebut could be in the future. Eye Pigment changes or changing your eye color. We can not do this today but maybe in the future. Explosive Blood. In this book terrorists with Explosive blood Clapp to explode These terrorists are called “Clappers”. I do typically read the science fiction genre because i like the idea of a different life than the present time.

• Wes K

Sorry, i forgot to say this yes i read these books often.

• Raihana U.

My book “Thirsty” by M.T Andreson is fantasy fiction or horror. I know because
    1.Christopher is a vampire (or soon to be vampire) that is suppose to cause havok in the town they live in
    2.There is dark magic and a lord named Tch munger
    3. There are celestial beings that behold magical weapons that DON’T EXIST!
    Yes i do typically read this genre because it is scary and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

• Kayty M.

“Uglies” by Scott Westerfield is a science fiction book.Three ways i know its science fiction are:
    * The futuristic setting
    *The incredable technology
    and
    *The great advances in medical procedures.
    Normally I don’t read science fiction because I thought they were strange but I am starting to like it more and more.

Halloween Bonus: My favorite horror story is “Wait Til Helen Comes” by Mary Downing Hahn. I would reccomend it to others because I usually don’t like horror but I loved this book.

• Mrs. Northcutt

The thing I love about science fiction, Kayty, is that there are so many different types! Some lighter books that focus more on the characters than the technology are accessible to a larger audience, I think. Have you read “The Hunger Games” yet? That’s an EXCELLENT sci-fi title!

And bravo for sharing your fave story! That one’s about ghosts, right?

• Kayty M.

I haven’t read “Hunger Games” yet but its definitely on my list. “Wait Til Helen Comes” is a ghost story.

• Emily W.

The title of my book is: “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins. “The Hunger Games” is science fiction. One reason my book is science fiction is that it is set in the far future in a country called Panem, which doesn’t exist. Another reason is that people have to fight to the death, and it is broadcasted on TV. The last reason is that people in the Capitol dye their SKIN different colors and it is “fashionable” to dye your hair bright colors. I usually read science fiction because it is more interesting to read than things that can and probably have already happened.

• Raihana U.

Wow! Yes I do agree with you it is more interesting to read books that are science fiction. I have read the “Hunger Games” and it seems very good. Do you like to read other books?

• Trey P.

My book is Graceling. My genre is fantasy. My book is a fantasy because one of the character’s have a abillaty to make anyone who hears his voice believe anything he say’s. Another character can read others minds, only when the thoughts are about him, and he can feel a phisical thing of where animals or people are. My final example is the main character, Kasta, has the abilaty to “survive”, she can always start a fire, she doesn’t fool cold or pain. I usualy read these stories, because they are entertaining and because they r fantasy the characters can do things that makes the story better.

• Carter P.

“Born to Rock” by Gordon Korman, the genre of this book is Realistic Fiction. It is realistic because the bands in the tour are real, and so are some of the characters names. Also what happens in the book could actually happen to a rock star in real life. it is fiction because not all of the characters are real people.

• Nick S.

My book is the Egypt Game by Zilpha Snyder
    The genre is a mystery and realistic fiction.
    -This book has no mythical creatures or other worlds
    -There is no doubt in mt mind that this couldn’t happen in real life
    -Unexplainable things begin to happen such as the Thoth oracle shrine mysterously answering the questions written down by the players of the Egypt Game. All 6 say they did not do it. Once the culprite was caught, the same thing happens one more time and this time it wans’t the same person. Also the flowers from the Isis (Godess of the family and happiness) shrine stayed alive much longer than they expected and the stone from the Set (god of choas and destruction) Mysterously moved on its own.

• Randy R.

My book is “The Maze Runner” the genre is science fiction. The reason I think this is science fiction is because there are part mechanical and part flesh monsters attacking a small civilization, there is poison they have that makes people go insane and turn into a pure white color, and in this book the people are stuck in a maze that is miles long in space that has the ability to change completly in a few minutes every day. I don’t typically read books in this genre because I perfer books that have a mystery or have horror.

• Mikey M.

My favorite scary story is Dracula. I would totally recommend it because its a type of story thats going to keep you on the edge of your seat.

• Mrs. Northcutt

That one’s a classic for a reason, Mikey! Did you get to go see the play with Mrs. Martin?

• Mrs. Martin

Mikey, I love it that you mentioned “Dracula” as a favorite scary story. So glad that I could introduce you to true beginning of the vampire genre! :)

• Mikey M.

Im so glad I had a chance to go see Dracula. I wasnt really looking foward to see it but once I did I ended up LOVING Dracula.

• Aaron R.

“Million Dollar Throw” by Mike Lupica. this book is realistic fiction. i know this because thare are kids playing football,and a little girl about my age is going blind. she has to go to a school eseshly for kids that are blind or going blind. The mian character olso faces a stessful situatoin, ware he hase to make a throw from the therty yard line for one million dollars.

• Nick S.

I don’t read much horror, little to none actually so I would have to say this book of haunted places in kentucky

• Alexis M.

The book I chose was After Ever After by Jordan Sonneblick. This book was under realistic fiction. The reasons for this is:

1. Someone can graduate and get a diploma.
    2. Someone can have gym class.
    3. Someone can be in a wheelchair.

No. This is not my favorite genre. I just read it because it seemed interesting to me.

• Bethany B.

Alexis, I don’t really get the events that show all the things that can happen as realistic fiction. Do you think that you could tell the events that happened for your 3 reasons?

• 16segore

Birthmarked is a science fiction book. REasons it is science fiction are that it talks about the inclave who is the rulers of the city. Second it tells us about the advancement of babies inside the wall. Third it tells us on the cover ” Those marked by a code determine the future, One marred with a scar will unravel the past.” I don’t usual read books like this but this book caught my interest because of the content of family heartship and romance.

• matthew s

The title of the book I chose is candor. It is science fiction. Three examples are the people are controled by the main character’s dad. He lives where every thing is perfect. The people live primative. I read any genre as long as it is interesting.

• Lauren M.

This sounds like an interesting book. Do you like Science fiction the best?

• Raihana U.

This seems like a really good book! Why does the main character’s dad control the peoples minds. Is the dad supposed to be the protagonist or the antagonist?

• jordan m

The title of my book is (THE DEMONATA LORD LOSS)It is a scary book.

• Seth J

The book The Hunger Games is a sci-fi book the reason I think this is it has advanced tech like that of the future, the government controls everything, and it has things in (such as plants that you can control birds modified so they can speak) that could never happen. I typically do read this type of book because it has things beyond my wildest dreams were I can really get a feel for the book because I love those type of dreams

• Luis S.

The title of my book is the Hunger Games and it’s genre is realestic fiction. Three examples are:
    1. the way the characters are described makes them sound realistic. 2. the setting of the story is also described realesticlly. 3. the story hasn’t happened but still could because it is realistic fiction. I like these kinds of stories because they keep me hooked and sounds so real like it’s actually happening.

• Bethany B.

Luis, I think that you gave some very narrow topics to show that it is realistic fiction. Do you think you can tell some of the descriptive words for he characters, the setting, and describe the story and tell what the book is about?

• Natalie P.

The title of one of my ERP books is Artichoke’s Heart. The genre of it is realistic fiction. Three examples that make me think that it is realistic fiction are that it is set in a world that could be real, it has very realistic people in it, and the situation in it seems very real and could happen in a high school like the one in Artichoke’s Heart. I typically read books in this genre and in fantasy genre! I read fantasy books because it gets me away from reality and I read realistic fiction because I can usually compare the book to my own life.

• ashley R.

did it amaze you that it could realy happen? This does sound like a realistic fiction book

• Emily W.

This sounds like a really good book! Would you reccomend it to anyone who reads science fiction?

• Mrs. Martin

Natalie, I love this book! You are so right on about the reality of this book. It makes us all take a look at ourselves a little bit, don’t you think?

• Trey P.

This is really broad try to narrow it down a little. What is the fiction part that makes it reallistic fiction?

• Meredith F.

I typically read realistic fiction too. Do you have a spacific characteristic that you like about realistic frction?

• Nick S.

I dont usaully read realistic fiction but this sounds great! But is there annything at all that is sort of out of the ordinary?

• Dallas B.

I heart you, you haunt me has a paranormal romance genre.
    1. The relationship between Ava and Jackson.
    2. Jackson is a ghost.
    3. Ava and Jackson always do each other’s dares.
    I read this type of book sometimes because this type of book can be enjoyable sometimes.

• Tristain M.

The name of my book is The Ranger’s Apprentice The Ruins of Gorlan and it is Fantasy fiction. Three examples that show this book is fantasy is
    *There are creatures called the Kalkara who are made of a bird, ape, and bear with flammable fur that is like scales.
    *There is an antagonist who controls evil creatures with his mind.
    *The antagonist is a powerful sorcerer who has control of some elements.
    I do typically read books like this because it takes you to a different time and place. It also seems as if I’m the actual character.

• Jared Y.

I wouldn’t want to meet that bird/ape/bear. I’ve heard that this series of books is really good. What is your opinion on it?

• Emily W.

I’ve read the whole “Ranger’s Apprentice” series, and I really enjoyed them. Do you think this book is good enough to read the whole series?

• Trey P.

I read these types of books too. Do you know of any other books like this?

• Kinley D.

The genre of my story “The First Part Last” is Realistic Fiction. Some detalis in my story that hint this genre are
    The main character is a human
    The main charcter has real life problems
    The plot, setting,climax ect. are all real live things that could actually happen.
    I do usally read books with this genre but I also read other books of diffrent genres.

• Hannah B.

The book that I chose is I heart you you haunt me. Its genre is Fiction. 3 examples of this book are:
    1.Ava is under the age getting a piercing
    2.She has her own money ($5000) in her own account
    3.She stays in her bed when Jackson dies.
    Yes, I typically read these books,because I love fantasy and fiction books because they are about vampires and other fatasy things.

• ashley R.

The book i choose is I heart you,you haunt me. It is fantasy.
    1. it talks bout ghost and how it haunts her
    2.she sees reflections of her boyfriend in the mirror.
    3.the radio turns on without anybody touching it.
    no becaue it normaly deals with prinnces and princes and frogs with is to kidish for me now.

• Dallas B.

Not all fantasy books have a prince and a princess. Why do you think they are kidish?

• Jodie B.

This was a good book, i finished it in a day! Did you like Ava’s mood better at the beginning or ending of the book?

• Simon T.

My book is: The Monstrumologist. it is a science fiction novel. here are three reasons why its fiction:
    1. It is very scientifically based.
    2. it is realistic but not true.
    3. One of the main charecters is a doctor that studies monsters in a scientific manner.
    I do read alot of these type book. i enjoy them very much.

• Mrs. Martin

Simon, I am not usually a sci-fi reader. However, I saw this one in the bookstore and was genuinely curious about it. I would love to hear what kind of monster studies are done in this book? What is the doctor looking for?

• Kayty M.

This book sounds good. Who is the author?

• Jodie B.

One book I chose was “Just One Wish” and it’s genre is realistic fiction. Here are three examples why:

1.) The characters are just like us: real, alive, and true
    2.) People can get cancer
    3.) No matter what age you are you can follow your dream and never give up just like Ava in the book